Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Twelve Days of Recovery

HMMM … Everybody now, SING!

In three years post-stroke,
I've acquired for recovery:
24 balls for gripping,
18 shower strips non-slipping,
14 finger flexors,
10 toe relaxers,
7 braces a-bracing,
6 shoes no lacing,
5 p i l l  b o x  s o r t e r s . . . 
4 grab bars,
3 cooking aids,
2 walking canes,
And balance games to play with Wii!

And like the "Twelve Days of Christmas" song, the list could go on and on . . . just look at all this stuff!

"Exercise? I thought you said 'ACCESSORIZE!' "

I hate clutter. I hate being reminded of stroke everywhere I look around my house; so as soon as I think I've outgrown some piece of equipment, I put it aside for storage or throw it away.

MISTAKE. As I've progressed from one stage to the next, I've discovered how some of my old "excessories" could have been re-purposed for exercises at a higher skill level. I keep sending my poor husband into the loft to look in the "therapy bag" for some old brace it turns out I threw away months ago. 

And that's just the truth of my life: Stroke is always in season.

17 comments:

  1. I keep moving exercise equipment in and out of storage too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's an impressive list!

    I finally got rid of a bunch of canes. I also used a lot of my kids' toys for therapy in the first year--stacking toys, Animal Go Fish (speech therapy), jumbo puzzles, etc. I finally got rid of some of the toys. I hope I won't regret it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So clever - am thinking of you and wish you and your husband a Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So funny and bittersweet, grounded, down-to-earth. Thank you Marcelle! All best wishes for a healthy 2014.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey! That looks like my house, except I still use my wheelchair as the ice makes walking outside to hard.

    ReplyDelete
  6. nice blog and the picture are funny :))

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice Page and Post. Still wait The update

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice page and i like blogwalking

    ReplyDelete
  9. nice page. i like your post, please visit back

    ReplyDelete
  10. hi,, i like to visit this site,, have a nice day :)

    ReplyDelete