Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Balancing Recovery & Life

I think the hardest thing about a long and determined recovery from a serious stroke is finding a balance between rehabilitation efforts and living life. In the beginning, I spent six hours a day doing prescribed exercises. I was afraid that if I didn’t do everything suggested, I would not regain my lost functions.

One day I broke down in tears. “It’s impossible,” I wailed to my husband. I was exhausted, bored, frustrated. My husband reasoned that I needed to put some effort into enjoying my life today. As months passed and I realized that my progress would be glacially slow, I recognized the wisdom of his words.

If the stroke taught me anything, it is that my life and health is not to be taken for granted. Everything could change at any moment, rendering my dreams, my wishes, my “some days” even more challenging. I have to make the most of what I have
now – even if it means doing things differently than I’d imagined.

It has been 10 months since I last posted.  Thanks to those of you who have reached out to make sure I was okay. It feels good to be missed. For my part, I did not miss focusing on stroke. I needed a break. I have continued putting significant effort into recovery – doing four or five 90-minute therapy sessions per week. But I have been putting the rest of my limited time and energy into living life.

Next post: More about what I’ve been doing.

13 comments:

  1. Hi Marcelle,
    Good to see you back !!
    Regards / John A.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have missed you and your posts!
    Hope to see you soon,
    Much love
    Paul-Louis

    ReplyDelete
  3. I gave up on focused recovery exercises 6 years ago. Living life is extremely challenging. Glad to hear your voice again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very glad to see this post. You have been missed! I think you have a very smart hubby, Marcie (and you're brilliant for hearing him and adjusting your expectations of 'this' life)!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been thinking of you often - so glad that you are back - am grateful to a witness to your awesome journey!

    ReplyDelete
  6. SO happy to see you posting again. That is still a lot of time doing organized therapy but don't forget daily movements still involve work and are valuable. You can't go to a movie at a theatre without putting some work into getting from your car to your theatre seat. Making a sandwich requires skills and focus. Lead your life and know you are still working on the skills that really matter to you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a joy it was to see your e-mail! And what a learning journey you're on. Your thoughts, as usual are so well written and well sequenced. For me, finding balance is usually the answer. Many hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You sure have been busy, being there for family and friends! I'm not sure what you will be writing about next so I won't put in a spoiler but maybe a teaser? It involved looking marvelous, traveling, public speaking and making me smile ear to ear! No pressure to include...;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is so good to hear from you. I agree about balancing exercise and life. It is always a thrill to hear how other stroke survivors participate in fun or meaningful activities.

    ReplyDelete
  10. just blogwalking.. Nice post and have a nice day :)

    ReplyDelete