Wednesday, November 19, 2014

A Bedtime Story

I always have loved to read in bed. I was the kid who hid under the covers with a flashlight reading long after “lights out.” In marriage, my tired husband complained: “How much longer are you going to have that light on?”

After the stroke I tried to read in bed but, with one hand, I couldn’t position the pillows comfortably behind my back; I got tired holding the book open single-handed, and frustrated trying to turn the pages. I gave up on physical books and started listening to audio books. After a year of buying audio books through Audible.com, I discovered I can borrow them free over the Internet from my local library. When I’m uncomfortable and can’t sleep, listening to an audio book is a good distraction. The major drawback is that many books I want to read aren’t available in audio format.

Recently, my husband and I went shopping for a new mattress. I was lolling on one when the salesman pushed a button that raised my head and knees. “Hey,” I thought. “This is comfortable. I could read an actual book in this position!”

We bought the adjustable frame in addition to a new mattress. The first night at home with it, my husband came into the bedroom and said, “It’s good to see you reading again.” It’s a piece of our old life rediscovered. He hasn’t even complained about the light being on when he goes to sleep.

5 comments:

  1. I have always loved to read so I really related to this story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the picture...and the bed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also was a kid who read in bed with a flashlight - I love this story - you are so clever - it's fun to see your process in solving problems!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reading in bed is one of life's little pleasures. So glad you can do this again!

    ReplyDelete